We’ve all been there. That awkward moment when paying a service bill, and you don’t know whether to tip or not. It happens in the moving industry, as well. Knowing if and how to tip movers can be tricky. Here’s a guideline to help you understand when and how much to tip.
Do I have to tip my movers?
No, tipping isn’t required or expected, but it’s a nice gesture. If you feel the moving team did an excellent job, you may want to consider tipping.
How much should I tip?
The general rule of thumb is 5-10% for smaller, cross-town moves and 15-20% of the total cost for large moves to split among the crew. Always consider things like the difficulty of the move when deciding how much to tip. Also, consider these three factors:
- How complex was the move? Take into consideration the size and contents of your home, distance traveled, stairs or multiple levels involved, the number of movers required, whether there were heavy or bulky items, and the number of days it took to complete the job.
- How was the quality of service? Look for whether they showed up on time, were considerate, handled your items with care, listened carefully to instructions about meaningful objects, or wrapped fragile items well.
- What was the final moving cost? Calculate the total moving cost along with any additional packing services or need for additional trucks. You should factor all of this into how much you tip your movers.
Note: Another option is to tip each crew member a flat rate individually instead of giving it to the foreman to divvy up.
Should I use cash or card to tip my movers?
Either is appreciated, but cash is usually preferable because it’s easier to distribute amongst the team.
What if I can’t tip them?
You can show your movers that you appreciate their service in other ways by:
- Offering them bottled water, snacks, or lunch.
- Verbally express your appreciation to each person who helped you move. Never underestimate the power of your words, smile, and sincere thanks.
- Leaving a great review on platforms like Yelp, Facebook, Angie’s List, or BBB is a great way to show appreciation for a job well done whether you can tip or not. Why? Because it’ll help the moving company gain potential customers.
Tipping is nothing to stress about, but it is a good idea to tip if you’re satisfied with the service. Whether you leave a tip at all is entirely in your hands.
Are you looking for ways to save money on your next move? Check out these six ways to save money on moving costs.
RL Maxon Moving offers full-service moving in Northwest Arkansas and surrounding areas. Our team can handle any job, big or small, commercial or residential, short or long-distance. Call us today at 479.756.0850 for a FREE estimate.