Congrats on your new home! You’re probably excited, exhausted, and in need of someplace to start — sounds like a job for our new home checklist. Here are 15 things to do when you move into your new place.
New Home Checklist
- Set up utilities before the move.
- Take pictures of any damage to your new place if renting.
- Inspect delivered boxes for visual damage or other signs of mistreatment.
- Unpack essential boxes and prepare the bedroom and bathroom for use.
- Prioritize your post-move by writing down all the immediate tasks you need to complete in the next few days and weeks ahead.
- Get to know your new place. Check for signs of damage, leaks, or running toilets.
- Find the fuse box and the main water valve.
- Secure your new home. Change the locks on the outside doors. Check all windows and smoke detectors.
- Childproof your new home.
- Recycle packing materials.
- Clean your new house, especially if you have pets. Dogs and cats can smell traces of other pets who may have lived there before them and can cause them to start marking territory.
- Find new health care providers.
- Register your vehicle.
- Greet your new neighbors.
- Settle in and make it cozy.
Now that the move is over and you’re getting settled, take some time to write a moving review and rate your moving company’s services if you used one.
You’ll help other movers find a reliable moving company that they can trust.
Enjoy Your New Life!
Are you relocating or plan to in the future? Get moving with RL Maxon Moving and trust your home, belongings, and family is in good hands so you can enjoy your new life.
Help us grow our new home checklist. What are some things that you would add? Before you go, check out our ultimate packing and moving supply checklist.