Is your family relocating to a new city or moving down the street? Are you planning to use a professional mover? Then, you’ll need to get some moving quotes and determine whether a fixed or hourly rate is best.
Fixed vs. Hourly Rate Moving Quotes
A fixed-rate can be better is some relocations, while an hourly rate is better suited for others. Both have pros and cons. Here’s what you need to know about each so you can choose the right moving quote for your move.
A fixed-rate generally comes with an in-home evaluation so that the moving company can evaluate and estimate the weight and value of items you want to move. They will also take into account distance, and other factors to determine the moving estimate.
A fixed (or flat) rate is convenient when moving a large household. Knowing that the rate won’t change by the end of your move is a huge relief.
What are the advantages?
- Great for long-distance moves
- Ideal for a large number of boxes and furniture
- Know exactly what you’re paying regardless of how long the move takes.
- More affordable when the environment isn’t ideal such as with lots of stairs, elevators, and more
- Moving specialty items such as pianos, pool tables, and more
- Faster moving service. Since the moving company is on a flat rate, you’ll be sure to get the most efficient number of movers to complete your move.
What are the disadvantages?
- Small household moves may cost more compared to an hourly rate.
- Includes the prices of fuel, lodging, and weight of items.
- Heavy items can result in higher prices.
- Price is often based on weight.
Most movers charge by the hour, especially for local moves. Billing begins when the crew arrives and ends when your move does. Hourly rate moving quotes will include drive time and can fluctuate state-to-state. The day, week, and month you plan to move often influence the moving quote with an hourly rate. Your hourly rate will also depend on the truck size and number of movers you’ll require.
What are the pros?
- It’s good for your moving budget since you can get a fairly accurate estimate ahead of time.
- Exceptionally affordable for short-distance moves.
- Ideal when moving a small household or apartment.
- Affordable option if packing yourselves.
What are the cons?
- Delays can result in additional fees.
- Delays like traffic and weather are unpredictable.
- Time and date can play a factor in the hourly price.
When it comes time to move, you want to save money and be sure that everything goes as planned. You’ll need to do your homework to ensure that you get the best prices and that everything goes as planned. But, in the end, you’ll get what you want.
Affordable Moving Quotes
Are you moving and need affordable moving quotes? Give RL Maxon Moving Company a call. We will help you decide whether to go with a fixed or hourly rate and make your move as stress-free as possible. 479.756.0850